Saturday 2 March 2013

Seating Arrangements


The typical seating arrangement on a bus in London.


I just realised the title sounds a lot like something which may appear on a 'To Do' list for someone planning a wedding. So before you ask, no I’m not getting married, and yes this still is a blog about public transport.

Well, funnily this blog did not start its life with me sitting in the bus to or from uni (that's not funny, I think I meant 'unlike usually'). It started with me going to the ‘local’ shopping centre (20 mins on the bus from me). I sat with my sister, on the upper deck, when it became obvious to me that there seemed to be a certain seating arrangement. I noticed (and I am ashamed that it took me this long) that when there is the choice people would much rather sit on their own by the window, than next to someone next to the aisle (we continue with the wedding themed language I see).

Sometimes, as I realised, people seem so desperate to sit in these coveted seats, that when one such place becomes available during an otherwise uncomfortable journey, they feel the need to move seats, no matter what other people may think. Now personally, I cannot judge others who like sitting in a particular seat, as I myself have a favourite spot on the bus. However when I don’t get that seat, I will feel just as comfortable (or uncomfortable, we ARE talking about buses here) in any other seat. So when my previously occupied favourite seat becomes available at some point during my journey, I see no need to move.

This reluctance of mine to switch seats has a reason other than an inherent streak of stubbornness. I don’t want people to think me rude, or weird for that matter. (Ok, so worrying about people thinking I’m weird is a little late). Also I may be the only one to feel like this, but when someone who sits next to me on the bus moves as soon as an alternate space becomes available, I tend to immediately worry that the reason they moved was because I am so repulsive that they could not sit next me for a second longer.

So... Do you have a favourite spot in the bus? Please do leave a comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment